> Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 09:51:03 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Matthew Dillon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> :* Jason Andresen ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> :
> :[/etc/crontab vs. crontab -u root]
> :
> :> ??? More visible?  New people to the system can never find that file.
> :> Heck, I'm always forgetting where it is.  It wouldn't be so bad if
> :> it just weren't so inconsistent.
> :
> :See cron(8), second paragraph.
> :
> :--
> :Thomas Seck
> :
>
>     /etc/crontab should probably not be touched, nor should /etc/periodic,
>     or upgrading the system will be nightmware.  If you want to use the
>     periodic mechanisms you can create your own periodic directory
>     hierarchy ala /usr/local/etc/periodic, and if you just want to mess
>     with your own root crontab you should use 'crontab -e' as root.  If
>     you want to override the system default /etc/periodic you can create
>     your own /etc/periodic.conf (else the system uses the default
>     /etc/defaults/periodic.conf).
>
>     It's simple.  See man periodic.conf.

Also, as far as I know, the use of local periodic(8) scripts via
periodic.conf(5) entries in 999.local is supported. mergemaster(8)
should catch changes in periodic.conf(5).

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                  Phone: +1 510 486-8634