As mentioned by an earlier email, 4-STABLE now uses gzip as the default
compression scheme for package building and installation.  The ports
cluster has finished building a gzip package set...it'll hopefully make
its way to the FTP sites sometime soon.  (FYI:  This package set will
also be the basis of the packages for 4.7-RC2.)

(Thanks to Kris Kennaway for helping with the ports infrastructure and
package building aspects of this.)

I've gotten a number of emails to the general effect of "Why don't you
guys like bzip2 packages?"  Once again, it's not that we (RE) think it's
a bad idea...the problem is that our support for bzip2 packages isn't
mature enough for a release.  Thanks for understanding.

Cheers,

Bruce.