On May 26, 2004, at 17:34, Robert Watson wrote:
[...]
This is a NULL pointer dereference in some piece of code. The instruction
pointer is 0xc0230fee, which if you have a kernel with debugging symbols,
you can convert into a source file and line number (see the handbook for
[...]

Currently debugging kernels are not installed by default. Would it be possible to add a flag in make.conf to allow a kernel.debug to be installed along side the regular kernel? This way people can set things up once and not having to worry about digging around for a kernel with symbols if a panic should occur.

I know there's there's an installkernel.debug target under /usr/src, but I'm unclear as to what it does. Does it install both the regular and debugging kernels, or just the debugging one?

Just a suggestion.