Craig Boston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 > On Tuesday 04 January 2005 9:57 pm, Wilkinson, Alex wrote:
 > > How can I confirm that ACPI has been setup to do this ?
 >
 > Hmm, well, the easiest thing to check is to run
 >
 > sysctl hw.acpi.power_button_state
 >
 > and see if that sysctl exists and if so, what it's set to (mine is S5, which
 > IIRC is complete power-off).  Also, check dmesg and see if you see a line
 > similar to
 >
 > acpi_button0: <Power Button> on acpi0
 >
 > If both of those show up, chances are that your ASL has a power button entry
 > and it should do the right thing.  Other than that, you could always wait
 > until the system is idle and just try hitting the button to see what
 > happens ;)

I'd recommend to quit all applications (particularly X11),
then forcibly re-mount all filesystems to read-only (using
"mount -ufo ro ..."), then press the power button.  That
way no harm will be done to the filesystems if it doesn't
work.

Best regards
   Oliver

"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things,
because that would also stop you from doing clever things."
        -- Doug Gwyn