----- Original Message ----- From: "Jon Noack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Bartosz Fabianowski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Chris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2005 7:35 PM
Subject: Re: Instant reboots with CPUTYPE=pentium-m

Bartosz Fabianowski wrote:
I use the athlon-xp switch on 3 boxes with no problems all of them
running 5.3

What CFLAGS are you using? I have CFLAGS=-O -pipe in my make.conf. Maybe you have optimization turned off and that's making a difference?

I reported the problem with the athlon-xp. My /etc/make.conf looks like the following (when I wish to kill the loader and experience instant reboots, that is ;-):

CPUTYPE?= athlon-xp
CFLAGS= -O -pipe
COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe

Note that I only see the problem when building the loader as part of a
buildworld.  Compiling just the boot stuff in /usr/src/sys/boot/ (i.e.,
without a bootstrapped gcc) results in a loader that works fine.  Thus, I
think defining CPUTYPE results in a gcc that produces a bad loader.

Mentioning athlon-xp sparked my interest... One of my systems is unstable under load when compiled with CPUTYPE?= athlon-xp, but not with i686. This typically manifests itself as segmentation faults or ICE errors at random places during compile jobs. The bootloader seems always fine however.

regards,

Derkjan