I am wondering if cpu overheating could be a factor. In 4.x you are building with gcc 2.95, whereas 5.3 uses 3.4 - the 3.x compiler takes longer and works harder, which may be generating more heat (i.e too much heat).

You can test this by installing the cpuburn port and running it for 10-20 minutes.

regards

Mark

Rick Updegrove wrote:

Hi all,

This machine runs 4.11-STABLE just fine.  I can make buildworld all day.
 Before that it ran Win2k for many months with no problems.  For these
reasons, I do not suspect hardware at this point.

When I install 5.3-RELEASE it runs fine until...

When I attempt to cvsup to STABLE and run make buildworld (yes with and
without the -j) it crashes.