Barry Bouwsma wrote:

[thread hijacked from freebsd-security@ and landed in stable@ ]

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:16:34 -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:

While a 4.12 will PROBABLY not happen, I do plan on continued MFCs of important
changes to RELENG_4 as I do not envision my custommers moving to 5.x until some
time in 2006 at the earliest. (Including fixes from dragonfly, and possibly some new drivers
and thing like USB fixes.

Thanks, Julian, and I'd like to contemplate getting a few of my MFC hacks that I'm running on 4.x, added to releng, if possible.

One of these things I've found very handy is the `mount' option
introduced in 5.x that allows one to specify with -F an alternate
to /etc/fstab to be used.

we can probably MFC anything that doesn't break any existing ABI.

This I use for conditional mounting of devices which may or may not be present, like external USB (to catch your interest, heh) drives with a complicated partition layout. I test if a known drive is present at a certain device, and if so, `mount -F /etc/fstab-da0' or `-da1' and so on, as part of my boot.

In order to adopt this change, I had to add to libc in 4.x as well
as butcher the `mount' code. Does such a change stand a chance of
being added to 4.x, or are infrastructure changes required this way,
like to libc, off-limits outside my own hive of personal hackery?

libc is not usually a target in a legacy branch. Addign a new function to it
may be ok in some cases but probably best to not do it.

(What's missing, as far as I know, that could be handy, is a comparable option to `umount' when one wants to quickly detach a drive with ten mounted filesystems. I haven't looked at this idea)

(freebsd-legacy@ , anyone, for those of us too stubborn to join the modern world, and get confused when the -stable list postings don't make clear what release is being discussed, or want a quiet place to mull over 2.2.x ?)

I was considerring this.. when 4.11 dies, we may make such a list.

thanks
barry bouwsma