Sam Leffler wrote:

I have had spectacularly bad luck with Maxtor SATA drives. I've already RMA'd 4 of 8 drives and have 2 more waiting to go back. 1 was DOA, the rest failed completely while in operation (typically locking up the machine). These were all Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 6Y160M0 160GB Serial ATA drives. After testing for power, cables, disk controller, motherboard, and other potential reasons I've decided the drives were just faulty and have switched to another vendor.

I have a pair of 6Y200M0 drives in my machine. They absolutely _hated_ the SiI 3112 controller I had them on (the one built-in on the motherboard). Lots of timeouts and the occasional untraceable random lockup. I moved them over to a Promise SATA controller and they seem much happier.