Bob Johnson wrote:

Any chance your RAID array is built from two-year-old Western Digital drives? Your problem sounds a lot like the one discussed here:
http://adam.kungfoohampster.com/lists/freebsd-questions/msg18877.shtml

The message above doesn't mention it, but the WD KB article also includes a fix for drives on 3Ware controllers.

Probably this is not the problem. I have Seagate drives, and the symptoms seem to be different - I have a panic, not a freeze.

Although I am having problems with the disk when I reboot. The program I am running outputs a "data.check" file every second or so, so that when the program is restarted it can pick up where it left. The code to do this is something like
check_point = open("data.check-tmp",O_WRONLY|O_TRUNC|O_CREAT,0644);
write(check_point,lots-of-stuff);
close(check_point);
rename("data.check-tmp","data.check");
What I find is that after the panic the file "data.check" is several days old. I am guessing it is because the IDE Seagate disk has some cache that it doesn't write back to the disk - probably it is the directory itself which is not properly updated. It is a bit annoying, but I can live with this. But maybe this indicates something more sinister.

I have put in another IDE disk whose only purpose is to be the disk to dump to. Hopefully I will be able to catch a good dump on that.

--

Stephen Montgomery-Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]