Subhro wrote:
In Device Polled systems, the NIC does not generate any interrupt at all. Instead whenever the packets arrive at a Network interface, they are captured and put into a queue. The kernel scheduler checks the quese at regular intervals and processes the packets which are waiting. This interval is adjusted by the "options HZ=x" kernel option.

If the value of x is very high, there may eb two scenarios. In the first scenario, the queue may fill up and subsequent packets are dropped. In this case retransmission of the packets are required. In the second scenario, the packets would be held up for excessive long times which defeats the entire purpose of Device Polling. If the value of x is very low, the scheduler would check the queue frequently and would again defeat the entire idea of Device Polling.

It's the other way around. Large values indicate larger polling frequency thus amounting to more checks. Or at least the name of the option would suggest that anyway.

-- Tuomo

... I can walk on water, but I stagger on alcohol