Elliot Finley wrote:
This has been happening since 5.3-R, I've been tuning different parameters
to no avail.  I've taken the disks off of the onboard ICH5 controller and
put them a promise TX4 S150 controller, but still the same thing happens.

The system freezes, but isn't totally dead.  It'll still respond to pings,
the screensaver still functions, but it won't respond to a CAD at the
console.  But if I press 'Enter' at the console, it'll give me a 'login:'
prompt, but after entering the username, it never comes back with the
'password:' prompt.

After manually resetting the system it boots and says 'Automatic file system
check failed; help!' and drops into single user mode.  Running fsck manually
corrects errors on all volumes.  Then it'll boot from that point.

This seems to be triggered by daily periodic as it happens at 3:02-3:03AM
each time.  But it doesn't happen *every* morning.

Hmm, sounds as a deadlock somewhere.
On the ATA part, try the ATA mkIII patches on http://people.freebsd.org/~sos/ATA and see if that changes anything.

--

-Søren