Only way to find out is to try. You could build and install the non-SMP
kernel and reboot when you can, or let it boot the new kernel next time
the system(s) crash.

A lot of the issues seem to be SMP-related. I really loaded up a GENERIC
5.4 kernel and wasn't able to get it to panic. What do you have to lose
at this point?

I would suggest that before committing to OpenBSD you verify that all
the hardware/software you have/use is supported under OpenBSD:

        http://www.daemonnews.org/200104/bsd_family.html
        http://www.monkey.org/openbsd/archive/misc/0311/msg01803.html

As an example: I'm fairly sure OpenBSD has recently dropped (or will drop) support for the Adaptec aac driver as Theo is not happy with Adaptec's response to his queries for interface specs.

From what I've head (YMMV) OpenSBD SMP support is not very optimal, possibly because it is likely that it was implemented extremely conservatively. OpenBSD MySQL with two CPUs can be slower than with one:

http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=04/12/27/1243207&from=rss

Gary

ps. it is a case of: cost, speed, reliability - choose any two.

Agreed, Theo just yelled at me cause I was having this discussion on the OpenBSD misc mailing list, which is my fault :-/ ... a lot of people were responding though and I think it just got out of hand.

As much as OpenBSD seems nice, my FreeBSD experience is a lot better. I'm going to switch to Uniprocessor and see if that makes us more stable. Hopefully it will.

-Matt