I've seen that 'GENERIC' file has been modified, moving some lines to
'DEFAULTS':

device          isa

device mem # Memory and kernel memory devices device io # I/O device

Why?
What does it mean? Should we include 'DEFAULTS' in our customized 'GENERIC'?
Or those lines are no more mandatory?

No, you don't need to include 'DEFAULTS', config(8) will take care of that for you.

http://docs.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200510271713.j9RHDNTo013082

AFAICT, this was done in order to automatically include devices which are essential in most cases so less experienced users won't accidentally break their systems and later complain that e.g. X doesn't work anymore.

The whole mechanism seems like an obvious POLA violation. All the more so without a note in UPDATING.

Personally, I prefer less automated "help." In general, it might be better to encourage those who need a nanny to run Windows, leaving FreeBSD unencumbered for those who don't. IMHO.