Doug Barton wrote:
Add the following to /etc/rc.conf.local:

compat5x_enable=yes

And it would probably help if you watched the messages printed to the
console as the system boots.

And you should also have read the message that came when you installed the port - you know, the one that immediately scrolled off the top of the screen. And you should also have checked ports/UPDATING - oops, scratch that last piece of advice.

Seriously, I consider my self lucky, not superior, that I caught this change and didn't face the same problems as the OP. I hope you guys fix this "feature" before RELEASE-6.1, otherwise the mailing lists are going to be full of this issue.

Stephen