JoaoBR wrote:
On Friday 03 March 2006 23:45, Mark Kirkwood wrote:

I would certainly see the installer handling software RAID as a
considerable benefit.

From what I've seen on the net, to install and boot off RAIDed system
disks is quite fiddly (maybe gmirror is the exception here, as I've
mainly been looking at striping).

Cheers

Mark

geom changed this complications definitely, using gmirror or gstripe commands is easy as copying a file.

(Chuckles) - While I see your point, I see that Ralf E's article discussing this very issue weighs in at about a page worth of instructions for *each* of the two methods discussed. Now, sure, he's being pedantically careful so no-one will misunderstand and murder their systems - but ISTM that this is the sort of task that ideally an installer could/should handle.

The argument of 'its only a few commands...' does not really stand up - as (for instance) it could be equally applied to that installer providing package installation - and it seems to have that facility (thankfully!).

So in comparism the easy use of geom is great and the people which developed geom did a really fantastic job.

I agree, as the geom based applications are maturing, we are starting to see that benefit of the geom infrastructure.

Cheers

Mark