Craig Boston wrote:
On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 09:04:02AM -0800, Freddie Cash wrote:
There's no need to copy files around.  gmirror handles it all for you
behind the scenes.  Just create the gmirror labels using the existing
disks/slices/partitions, then insert the second set of
disks/slices/parittions.  gmirror will handle synchonising the data
across the mirror.

AFAIK, gmirror causes whatever provider it's mirroring to "lose" the
last block to metadata.  I've always avoided mirroring an existing
filesystem for fear that shrinking a UFS filesystem's underlying device
might cause problems down the road.

Can someone with knowledge of the UFS internals please confirm one way
or the other if this is dangerous or not?

I'm curious to know this as well, as i have some systems using gmirror, that were setup in this fashion. Could someone knowledgeable on the matter shed some light?