Hello Chuck,
Hello @all,

2006/4/7, Chuck Swiger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Michael Schuh wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > i need suggestions and hints about an redundant
> > storage-system.
> >
> > My requirements are:
> > a Storage that is available via Network, flexible in scalation,
> > and must be redundant, and cheap if possible....
> >
> > My Own suggestion was this  scenario:
> >
> > 2 boxes very cheap for ~300$
> > 2 or more SATA-II-Controller ~30$(SIL)
> > 4 or more Disks with 200-250GB ~100$/piece
>
> You've obviously chosen to prioritize cheap above anything else with these
> recommendations.  :-)  You simply can't spend less than a grand and expect
> to get even one decent fileserver, much less a pair of machines.
yes, the reason why i choose cheap HW is that we could get in the future an
the pressure to spread the load from one to many syttems and the
amount of Data to get very big, but is is no database-solution and the
file-size grows up to
20-100MB but the Count fo Files can grow from many thousands up to
many millions or billions.
So that the "right" solution for this was a good SAN-System. But the Costs can't
pushed to the Customers so that an relatively simple and chead solution must
do the Work from an good SAN-System.
My Projektleader would buy DELL-Machines, but in the fact of the work they then
do the costs get bored, and also our Projekt.Manager an the financier
get bored....:-(

so that i have sign a Solution with cheap HW, ok this cheap HW is not very
stable and never so performant like the right Hardware, but if i use
this solution,
so i can relative fast replace defect items with new HW.

The other plus is i hold over 2-3 years everytime relatively actual
hardware-systems. And i agree with you if you say the costs over the
years are more then the invest into rellay good hardware, but that is
at this time not possible.......:-(

> Do not get a Silicon Image SATA controller.
Why not? I usse one in my HOME-Box. Ok it has only 8K buffer for
tagged Command queue, and it is not the fasten, but he is cheap an do
his job
(for a time :-) in general i agree with you it is smarter to use a
Controller designed for Men's not for Boys..... :-)

> If you want to value redundancy and the ability to scale, you ought to look
> at NAS or SAN systems, such as NetApp filers, or maybe even an Apple Xserve
> and a Fibre-channel switch.

yes i can also agree with you but the terms of condistions are described above,
and dissallow this at the time....

> Even if you're not willing to pay that much, you should at least consider
> what those solutions offer for their pricepoints, and then decide what your
> data is worth to you and what your requirements should be.
>
> At the very least, get a multiport SATA RAID controller with a decent-sized
> RAM cache of its own and an internal battery to keep the drives going until
> that cache can be flushed.  As well as an external UPS, right...?

I can also agree with you.......but the management......get not my friends
with this....... :-))

> --
> -Chuck

thanks and