Chris Dillon wrote:

I had problems with snapshots and hangs in 5.x. For that, a daily reboot would keep the problems at bay. I upgraded to 6.0 and the problems completely disappeared. I kept 6.0-STABLE running for weeks. Somewhere along the line, as 6.1 approached, similar problems re-appeared, but not exactly the same as what I had in 5.x. Now instead of a complete system hang, individual processes will hang while attempting to access a certain filesystem.
I'm running 5.5-pre #5 and dumps using the snap option. No quotas, low usage. Nightly dumps hung last weekend, and any new dumps (till I rebooted) hung. Other process' access to the drives seemed ok, but hung dump processes were unkillable. Sorry, didn't have any debug stuff turned on, so I realize this info is of limited or maybe even no use. Hadn't seen this before. If it crops up again, I'll build a new kernel for debugging and try and get more data.

thanks
jim