Mark Kirkwood wrote:
I recently upgraded my FreeBSD machines from 6.0R to 6.1-STABLE

I noticed a pleasant surprise - improved disk IO!

In 6.0R best sequential throughput I ever saw was 170 MB/s (32k block size reads on an 4G file). In 6.1-STABLE I'm seeing 190 Mb/s (32k block size reads on an 4G file).

Would have been even better if I'd spelled "sequential" correctly in the subject :-(...

I'm also seeing sequential write speed increasing from 120Mb/s to 140Mb/s.

I did wonder if this increased IO throughput is what is triggering the posts about data corruption in 6.1 - i.e. more throughput means more heat to dissipate!

Cheers

Mark