Stephen Hurd wrote:

1) How do people cope with custom termcap entries?
One workaround is to not modify /etc/termcap at all. Instead just store
them in a file somewhere and (depending on your shell) do
    export TERMCAP=/my/custom/termcap
Or even
    export TERMCAP=custom:my custom entry

See the ENVIRONMENT section near the bottom of "man 3 curses".

Hrm... I don't *think* this can be done by frobbing /etc/gettytab, but perhaps it can... I'll give it a shot.
login.conf/.login_conf may help (to set environment variables before login shell starts, assuming that is what you need).

But ~/.termcap should work regardless and will override termcap entries in the system termcap db.