On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:

Robert Watson wrote:
A lot of people have answered and told you about lsof, which is a great tool, and can give you a momentary snapshot of the files a process has open. You might also be interested in getting a log of accesses, which you can do using ktrace(1). This tracks system calls and you can see what paths are being accessed at time of open. As of 7.x (and hopefully 6.2 once the MFC happens) you'll also be able to use audit(4) to track access of files by processes.

Sadly, ktrace(1) seems to be rather useless in RELENG_6 right now. Every medium sized app will result in an "out of ktrace objects" error. I remember that some improvements to ktrace(1) went into -CURRENT. Time for an MFC?

I fixed this in 7-CURRENT, I'll have to investigate how straight forward an MFC might be. It does change the kernel thread data structure, so I'll need to be a bit cautious.

Robert N M Watson