On Sat, 24 Jun 2006, Kostik Belousov wrote:

On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 11:55:26AM +0400, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
On Sat, 24 Jun 2006, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

MGF> > 'b' stands for "blocked", not "busy".  Judging by your page fault rate
MGF> > and the high number of frees and pages being scanned, you're probably
MGF> > swapping tasks in and out and are waiting on disk.  Take a look at
MGF> > "vmstat -s", and consider adding more RAM if this is correct...
MGF>
MGF> is there a way of finding out what processes are blocked?

Aren't they in 'D' status by ps?
Use ps axlww. In this way, at least actual blocking points are shown.

'k, stupid question then ... what am I searching for?

# ps axlww | awk '{print $9}' | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr
 654 select
 230 lockf
 166 wait
  85 -
  80 piperd
  71 nanslp
  33 kserel
  22 user
  10 pause
   9 ttyin
   5 sbwait
   3 psleep
   3 accept
   2 kqread
   2 Giant
   1 vlruwt
   1 syncer
   1 sdflus
   1 ppwait
   1 ktrace
   1 MWCHAN

According to vmstat, I'm holding at '4 blocked' for the most part ... sbwwait is socket related, not disk ... and none of the others look right ...

---- Marc G. Fournier Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org) Email . [EMAIL PROTECTED] MSN . [EMAIL PROTECTED] Yahoo . yscrappy Skype: hub.org ICQ . 7615664