On Thu, 20 Jul 2006, Holtor wrote:

Since upgrading some of our 5.4 servers to the latest 6.1-STABLE we've had some processes stuck in the *inp state as listed in 'top'. Those processes can't be killed and any resources they use up in terms of bound IP addresses or ports can't be freed. Does anyone know what this *inp state means or how to fix this problem?

Processes in state '*inp' are waiting for an inpcb lock, suggesting a deadlock or lock leak. Can you compile your kernel with invariants, witness, ddb, etc, and do a bit of kernel debugging? You can find basic instructions in the handbook; what I'm particularly interested in is the output of "alltrace", "show alllocks", "show allpcpu".

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge