On Tue, 1 Aug 2006, Robert Watson wrote:

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006, Graham Menhennitt wrote:

current process = 479 (mountd)

I have the same panic reproducibly. Shutting off nfs_server_enable (i.e. mountd) in rc.conf prevents it. This is with 6-STABLE cvsupped yesterday. I'll get some more info and follow up the PR.

I rebuilt my kernel (to enable debugging) and now it doesn't panic. So it seems that an old kernel (from around the end of May) with a new mountd (from Sunday) will crash. But a new kernel with a new mountd won't.

FYI, I've managed to reproduce this on a 7-CURRENT kernel, so will try to take a look at this in detail in the next few days. It looks like a race during socket connect/accept for UNIX domain sockets, likely involving simultaneous close, which may be a sign of a bug in mountd (or the like) that triggers it. Of course, the kernel shouldn't panic under those circumstances. :-)

On further reflection, this is simply a bug in the UNIX domain socket code, and has to do with a race between an attempt to connect to a socket and the socket being closed, such as may happen during a reboot. I'll do some more digging and see about a possible fix for this.

Thanks,

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge