On Oct 3, 2006, at 4:43 AM, Kostik Belousov wrote:

Details are posted at http://vivek.khera.org/scratch/crashlogs/

I have the crashdumps available to a kernel hacker upon request (i'd
rather not make them generally available to the public...)

It seems that you have snapshotted fs exported by nfsd ? At least, 18a is definitely the case. I have the patch (for current) that shall fix the issue.
In fact, you need two patches:

As per advice of Kris Kenneway, I turned off the software watchdog to rule out that as my problem. Then I ran a level 3 dump. Dump of root fs went fine, then it proceeded to do /usr. After a few minutes it locked up. Typescript 20 at the above URL shows the debugging info from the break into debugger of the locked up system. Since /usr was locked, nobody could log in at all.

The network load was minimal at the time. I had everyone log out and close mail etc.