Am 24.10.2006 um 16:41 schrieb Jeremy Chadwick:

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 09:41:57AM -0400, Vivek Khera wrote:
Am 23.10.2006 um 17:46 schrieb Vivek Khera:
On Oct 20, 2006, at 6:59 AM, Stefan Bethke wrote:
As I said, boot and loader are happily using 115200, but the kernel
uses the compiled-in default.  I'll file a PR the next few days,
hopefully with a patch.

As I said, "works for me".  I wonder what it is you are going to
patch?  Did you try it with the separate -S option?  Did it work?

I think what Stefan refers to is the complex nature of how the
serial port is initialised/"tinkered with" in stages.

[ Very good, but very long explanation of the various users of the serial port omitted ]

What I'd like to propose is similar to Stefan's recommendation:
is there any way possible to:

* Not touch the serial port AT ALL, EVER [...]

I'm not sure that would be so easy. However, CONSPEED is/was the setting to be used if the actual setting cannot be determined when sio initializes. I haven't researched if there ever was code that tried to determine the sio settings when (re-)initializing. However, sioreg.h says:

/* default serial console speed if not set with sysctl or probed from boot */
    #ifndef CONSPEED
    #define CONSPEED 9600
    #endif

For me, probing from boot could just mean to initialize the speed from kenv comconsole_speed if set, and fall back to CONSPEED otherwise. I'll try to get around that on the weekend.

In current, imp re-enabled the commented-out tunable for machdep.conspeed. Re-enabling that works without a problem, it seems (cf. 1.463 of sio.c).

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   Fon +49 170 346 0140