Glen Van Lehn wrote:
Hi, I'm new to the FreeBSD lists, and still uncertain on protocol.
I posted this today on the freebsd-hardware list, but from the discussion I'm
seeing today, it may better apply to  5-stable than hardware.
                                                   -----
I'm installing 5-STABLE from the 5.4 CDset onto a new HP DL140 G2 with an Adaptec
2120S RAID controller that someone else had already installed with a Linux OS. Two
HDD are config'd as RAID1 set.  After the probes for VGA & mouse, the boot
stuck on a repeated series of messages:

aac0: COMMAND 0xc39ef000 TIMEOUT AFTER xxx SECONDS
# 16 diff hex offsets per set .. each set repeating every 20 seconds
aac0: COMMAND 0xc39ef708 TIMEOUT AFTER xxx SECONDS

A different boot has a different hex prefix, 0xc3a16, but the same sequence of
16 trailing digits, 000 to 708.

Searching this list, I found a similar post from Chris Knight in January, but he was on 6 and that was apparently right at a change to the aac driver. Searching FreeBSD.org turned up a similar problem back in March 2004 [5.2.1]. Scott Long responded to that one as a known issue being resolved.
The BIOS firmware was 'Build 7244' from May 2004, but I updated that to Build
8205 [latest for that chipset] and still had the same problem.

Would the pre-existing different OS install mess up the aac0 driver?  like
format the array first?
I broke the array, re-inited the disks and recreated RAID 1..  but didn't
format drives ..  still had problem.

something else?    I was able to install Fedora4 after failing on 5.4, but I'd
like to use FreeBSD for this project.

comments appreciated,
glen van lehn

Does the 'Safe mode' boot option work? This is likely an interrupt routing problem.

Scott