Pete French wrote:

reading from the filesystem with the vfs.read_max set to 64 I now get
112 meg/second though ?!!! how can the filesystem give me better performance
than the raw device ? I do not think this is  a caching issue as I am using
a test file nearly twice the size of the RAM in the system to get round this.

I am delighted by the performance increase, but the results do not make sense.

It would be interesting for you to track iostat (i.e. run "iostat 1") with and without modified vfs.read_max and see if there's a difference.

In a similar experiment, you could watch gstat (also before and after) and see if it reports the difference.