Kevin Oberman wrote:
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 15:58:39 -0700
From: Scott Long <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

David Malone wrote:

These two bugs are shown for FreeBSD only and I guess, Solaris and other BSDs still use UFS. Are they more robust against this exploit or type of exploit?

I don't know of a concerted effort by anyone to improve UFS in this
way. I would guess that the odd bug would have been resolved, but
no large scale work.

        David.
Another thing to keep in mind is that filesystem mounting is only available to the super-user. If a feature came along such as automatically mounting USB drives, these bugs would indeed be critical.
But for now, they are not.

Not on the base system, but Gnome 2.16 with hald running will mount a
removable device automatically. The standard configuration of Gnome runs
hald. Allowing user mounts of removable media is even formalized by the
addition of /media to hier(7). I'm not sure this should simply be
treated as not being significant.

Would it be possible to restrict Gnome to only auto-mounting msdos and cd9660 filesystems?

Scott