On Thursday 08 February 2007 02:17 pm, Mike Andrews wrote:
> Jaime Bozza wrote:
> > Everyone has their reasons - I liked the RAID 6 feature, plus the OOB
> > management of Areca, plus my history with 3ware wasn't good. :(
>
> For what it's worth, 3Ware's latest PCI-E cards (9650 series) now
> support RAID 6.  The updated twa driver that supports them hasn't yet
> been merged into FreeBSD (see kern/106488 which I filed 2 months ago)
> but you can download either the source or the binary for it from 3Ware
> that works just fine.  The updated 3dm2 for it did make it into the
> Ports tree.
>
> Driver annoyances aside, my 9650SE is considerably faster than my 9500S

Not all that surprising, since the 9500-series use PATA-133 chipsets with
SATA-PATA bridges, and the 9550+ uses a native 3G SATA chipset.  Even
though the 9500s are listed as 1.5G SATA parts, you'll never get better
than ATA-133 speeds out of them.

We didn't realise that when we ordered our first pair of Escalade 9500S
4-port cards.  Thankfully, just after they arrived and before we put in
the mass-order, the 9550SX was released and we've standardised on them.

--
Freddie Cash
[EMAIL PROTECTED]