On Mar 9, 2007, at 03:41, Kris Kennaway wrote:

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 12:44:03AM +0100, Eirik ?verby wrote:
Hi all,

I just installed 6.2-RELEASE on a Supermicro 6013P-8 server, a dual
P4-Xeon 2.4ghz with 4GB ECC memory and an asr driven SCSI RAID
controller.

It has been working OK (although I suspect the asr driven, being
giant-locked, is very inefficient) for a little while, but as I was
extracting a bunch of tarballs it paniced like so:

spin lock smp rendezvous held by 0xc9d54600 for > 5 seconds
panic: spin lock held too long
cpuid = 0

I don't have a dump device (though I'm setting that up for the next
reboot). However, I have tried turning off HT, to see if that might
help.

Does this look familiar to anyone? Or do I need to produce more data
if it happens again?

It can mean that something deadlocked.  Turning on WITNESS may help to
debug this, although it has a large performance impact.

I can't turn on WITNESS here "just like that", as I'll need some time to find a replacement server for some critical applications. However, the strange thing is that this server has been running solid as a rock (not one single crash) for 2 years with FreeBSD 4.x on it, so I am fairly sure there is no hardware issue.

It crashed today, and I have obtained a dump. I am running 6.2- RELEASE with the stock SMP kernel, and haven't recompiled yet, so I can't seem to find a kernel.debug, but I'm building one now with the 6.2-RELEASE sources, as supplied on the CD. I'm assuming this will give me a useable kernel.debug.

Anything in particular I should look for if/when I'm able to peek into the dump with kgdb?

thanks,
/Eirik

Kris