----- "Nikolas Britton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What about implementing something like DragonFly BSD virtual kernels?
> Matthew Dillon talks about it in is bsdtalk interview:
> http://cisx1.uma.maine.edu/~wbackman/bsdtalk/bsdtalk098.mp3

  It seems very similar to User Mode Linux, rather than a true VM environment.
http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/   Each DragonFlyBSD vkernel runs as a
process.  I don't know why this is even interesting, for anything but kernel
developers.  Improving BSD jails to the same level as Solaris Containers
(Solaris Containers are Solaris Zones with resource control), would widely
useful for many BSD users.

  In VM environment, like Xen, each VM has its own kernel and possibly
different OS.  Xen has managed to get a lot of people interested in their VM
environment, so there are a lot of OSes that support the Xen "architecture".
And for those that don't there is early support for booting them by using
virtual features in newer CPUs (ex. Windows).  Microsoft has joined the Xen
bandwagon, even though the core is all open source, as they are threatened in
the enterprise space by the VMWare juggernaut, and their Virtual Server/Virtual
PC product is so bland, no one cares.

  UML has been available for longer than Xen, but Xen already outperforms it.
I don't see a lot of future in the "virtual kernel" concept.

Tom