Marc Santhoff wrote:

Am Montag, den 26.03.2007, 14:36 -0400 schrieb Mikhail Teterin:
Over a year later this remains a problem -- exactly as described below...

No other SATA devices are present -- the only other IDE device is the DVD drive. My main disks are SCSI.

What's MUCH worse is that the (slowly) written data is also often corrupted... I use the drive to store our vast collection of photos and the backups. Every once in a while I encounter a corrupt JPEG file, and the backups are _always_ corrupt somewhere. Doing something like:

        dump 0auChf 16 0 - /home | bzip2 -9 > /store/home.0.bz2

always produces a corrupt file (as per ``bzip2 -t''). I used to blame the drive's temperature, but it now sits in its own enclosure and stays under 40 Celsius.

When the drive is accessed, there are (according to `systat -vm') many thousands of interrupts 17 -- on my system these are shared between pcm0 and ehci0. Why are these triggered by accessing SATA is unclear, but the Intr's share of the CPU time is often above 80% of one processor's total (I have 4 processors).

As I mentioned a year ago, Knoppix was accessing the same drive at much higher speeds, so I don't believe, the problem is with the hardware...

Please, advise. Thanks!

FWIW: You could try cleaning the connectors and use a fresh new cable
for the connection (the spec has a very small value for plugging the
connectors at the cable).
Are you referring to how many time the cable can be plugged in and removed? If so
what is the number?

Thanks,
Steve

I had massive problems and got rid of them that way ...

Marc

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Ben Franklin)

"The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." (Thomas Jefferson)