On 4/10/07, Jeremy Chadwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Sat, Apr 07, 2007 at 02:05:45AM +0800, Rong-en Fan wrote:
> I just merged ncurses 5.6 and wide character support from
> HEAD to 6.x. That means ncurses in 6.x is now up-to-date and
> has wide character support, i.e., ncursesw library.

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for this.  You have no idea
how long I've been waiting (okay, now you do: years!), as I never felt
comfortable with having two versions of ncurses installed on a single
box (base + port).

So far it works great.  Thank you so much!

You are welcome.

The only thing I've found, though, is that dialog(1) does not appear to
properly handle UTF-8 encoding.  Line drawing characters show up as
gibberish (alphanumeric characters).  I realise dialog isn't part of
ncurses, but it does rely on it.  We should consider updating dialog to
match this change.

You mean it display sometihng like "tqxu" instead of line drawing characters?
Last time I checked, I thought it is terminal related. When I use screen, it
uses line drawing character. For PuTTY, see:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2007-April/146577.html

The current dialog + utf8 MacOS's Term.app seems work just fine.
I'm playing with devel/cdialog and no matter it uses ncurses or ncursesw
the result is the same.

I'm CCing ache@ who imports GNU's dialog to our base and cdialog/ncurses
author, hope they can comment  :-)

Regards,