Kevin Oberman wrote:

Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 12:45:34 -0400
From: Stephen Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Tom Evans wrote:

On Fri, 2007-06-08 at 09:22 -0400, Stephen Clark wrote:

Hello List,

A few weeks ago I installed 6.2. I did a cvsup of the ports and now anytime I try to make
anything that uses X I get something like the following:

===>  Patching for tk-8.5.a.6_1
===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for tk-8.5.a.6_1
===> tk-8.5.a.6_1 depends on file: /usr/local/libdata/xorg/libraries - not found ===> Verifying install for /usr/local/libdata/xorg/libraries in /usr/ports/x11/xorg-libraries
Read /usr/ports/UPDATING for the procedure to upgrade or install xorg 7.2.
*** Error code 1

I have been following the thread on xorg 7.2.

The /usr/src/UPDATING says under caveats
"Make sure you have the x11/xorg meta-port installed"

When I run make  in the x11/xorg dir I get  the following which
says use portupgrade if you want to upgrade X.Org.

/usr/ports/x11/xorg]# make
This is a meta-port, meaning that it just depends on its subparts of the port.
It won't build and install all the parts until you have typed make install
This port does not ensure things are upgraded; use portupgrade if you want to upgrade X.Org. If you simply type 'make install' it may use over 2GB to build all of the subports. You can install the ports singly if you are low on space.

So now which is it?

Use the meta port or portupgrade?

Thanks,
Steve

I'd read /usr/ports/UPDATING again, if you follow the exact instructions

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I have it printed out sitting right in front of me.

in that file, you won't have many problems.

But what about this paragraph under caveats from /usr/ports/UPDATING:

"Make sure you have the x11/xorg meta-port installed.  If you do not have
 this meta-port installed with X.Org 6.9, you will miss out on a lot of
 the new X.Org 7.2 sub-ports."

Do you have xorg-6.9 installed before starting? If not, you might well
want to install it after the upgrade. If it is already installed, it
will be automatically upgraded, so don't worry about it.

That said, my experience in updating about a dozen systems is to roll
the ports tree back to before 7.2 was committed and install xorg
(portinstall xorg) before starting the upgrade. It's not essential that
you do so, but it does eliminate some rough edges in the upgrade as the
main test case was almost certainly with xorg-6.9 installed on systems
prior to the upgrade.
I have xorg-6.9 installed from the release iso - I selected x-kernel-developer

Does this install all the things that would be installed from the xorg meta port? Because
if I do a pkg_info I don't see anything that says xorg meta port.

This is my work - workstation and I don't want to fubar it.

Thanks to all who have responded.

Steve

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Ben Franklin)

"The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." (Thomas Jefferson)