Nguyen Tam Chinh wrote:
Greetings,

We're going to build a server with some 1Tb of over 500 million small
files with size from 0,5k to 4k.  I'm wonder if the ufs2 can handle
this kind of system well. From newfs(8) the min block size is 4k. This
is not optimal in our case, a 1k or 0,5k block is more effective IMHO.
I'd be happy if anyone can suggest what does fragment (block/8) in the
ufs2 mean and how this parameter works. I know It's better to read the
full ufs2 specification, but hope that someone here can give a hint.
Please advice with optimizations or tricks.
Thank you very much.

If all else fails; try "divide and conquer" by having one filesystem per subdirectory. Unless you plan on having all files in a single dir?! Also look at how the squid proxy stores its files using a hashed dir structure. Another alternative is storing the data in a database if you don't need direct random RW file access..