On 2007-Jul-19 00:57:57 +0200, Momchil Ivanov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I think you are missing the point here and it is that the drive is already
>gone, so you do not have to care about it.

I don't think anyone is missing this point.

>The most natural way for me seems to be that the OS should just return errors
>to the programs trying any I/O on that drive. May be when a drive is
>unplugged the OS has to mark it and the mounted file systems as not being
>there until all opened files on it are closed, return errors for all I/O
>except for closing opened files. And when all files are closed consider the
>fs as unmounted and remove the drive from the kernel.

And everyone I am aware of agrees that this is what _should_ happen.
Unfortunately, as has already been mentioned, the filesystem and VM
code have a very incestuous relationship and actually _making_ FreeBSD
behave this way is (from all accounts) very difficult.  There is
already an entry on the project ideas list to at least make this work
for MSDOSFS (http://www.freebsd.org/projects/ideas/#p-msdosfs - also
part of SOC2007).

>This is my idea of how things should be done. Ensuring that a file system is
>in a consistent state after drive disconnect is something completely
>different

Note that UFS+softupdates already implements this.

--
Peter Jeremy