On Aug 18, 2007, at 4:09 AM, Thomas Hurst wrote:

Best temper your fear with some thorough testing then. If you are going
to use ZFS in such a situation, though, I might be strongly tempted to
use Solaris instead.

Why the long gaps between maintenance?

This is a DB server for a 24x7 service. Maintenance involves moving the DB master server to one of the replicas, and this involves downtime, so we like to do it as infrequently as possible. Also, it is not exposed to the internet at large, and runs on a closed private network, so remote and local attacks are not a major concern.