David Schwartz wrote:
A day ago at 11 am i have turn off the server,
pull out the old driver, installed a new one, turned of the server
and started rebuild in an hour from remote location via web
interface. After about 5 minuted the machine became unresponsive.
Tried rebooting - nothing. I went to the machine and fingure out,
that rebuild failed (0%) and some data cannot be read because of bad
sectors.

Why would you power cycle a RAID 5 array with a failed drive? That's
like the biggest no-no that there is. When you lose a drive on a RAID
5 array, you are vulnerable until a replacement drive is configured
and the array is rebuilt. Any high risk operations during that time
would be foolhardy.

Um.. it is because i did not have a map of hot swap baskets to conroller
ports and i needed to check every driver basket to understand which port
it sits on. I have no choise, i think.

So, no raid5 or even raid 6 for me any more. Never!

Since RAID6 would have saved you from what presumably was a drive
failure before a rebuild could be done, it's hard to understand why
you would say this is a reason to avoid RAID 6. Perhaps you would do
better to understand your failure and avoid the causes of the failure
rather than avoiding the things you happened to be using at the time
of the failure.
If you get food poisoning while wearing a blue shirt, the solution is
not to avoid blue shirts in the future.

Read the post before. I still don't known which driver has the bad sectors.
And it is very posible that EACH driver has them. RAID6 would not help then.

--
Artem