On Sun, 28 Oct 2007, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
 > I have dual-boot machine with 7.0-BETA1 and Windows
 > that keeps CMOS time local (there is /etc/wall_cmos_clock also).
 >
 > It was tuned off yesterday evening and turned back on today,
 > has ocurred. There is 'ntpd_enable="YES"' in /etc/rc.conf.
 > Nothing in a system reacted on the end of Summer Time period,
 > so ntpd just complained about 3600 seconds exceeded sanity limit
 > and bailed out (documented behavour).

With standard /etc/crontab, adjkerntz -a (which catches DST changes) is
only run between midnight and 5am, and presumably your 'today' started
after then.  Perhaps running that once on boot, just in case, might help
in such circumstances?  I've done that without ntpd running, but ntpd
-qg once on booting should handle such surprise 3600s shifts better?

 > There is Status Register B at the offset 0x0b in the ISA Compatible
 > CMOS its least significant bit should keep Daylight Saving flag
 > (on/off).

The bit appears to be DST enable, rather than storage of current state?
Windows date setting has a check box that I suspect reflects this bit.

You may find that windows will shift CMOS another hour when next booted
too, or at least that's what I recall W98 doing to me a couple of times
when I happened to boot it some time during some 6 month period :)

 > Is it used in modern hardware? Does FreeBSD use it? It is supposed to
 > use it?

/sys/isa/rtc.h has
#define  RTCSB_DST       0x01   /* USA Daylight Savings Time enable */

but it's not referenced in /sys/i386/isa/clock.c (great bedtime reading)
which is the only place that updates the RTC, AFAIK.  If I'm reading it
right, FreeBSD clears this bit during clock initialisation.

(5.5-STABLE here; I haven't checked if this code has changed since)

Cheers, Ian