On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 18:45:59 +0100
Marc "UBM" Bocklet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hiho! ;-)
>
> I just upgraded my machine to:
>
> FreeBSD blah.blah 7.0-BETA1 FreeBSD 7.0-BETA1 #6: Thu Oct 25 19:43:35
> CEST 2007
>
> and then tried using portupgrade, which promptly fails with:
>
> Fatal error 'Cannot allocate red zone for initial thread' at line 382
> in file /usr/src/lib/libthr/thread/thr_init.c (errno = 12)
> Illegal instruction: 4 (core dumped)
>
> (the red zone error ist repeated about 20 times).
>
> I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the upgrade. I tried
> deinstalling / reinstalling portupgrade and I also tried
> portupgrade-devel, but they both keep failing with the above error.
> Googling didn't yield any results.
> I've also installed the compat6x port and included COMPAT_FREEBSD6 in
> my kernel, but that didn't help either.
>
> Has anybody encountered this error before?
>
> Thanks in advance!

A tip from Diane Bruce ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) did the trick:

----

This one bit me as well. It's an obsolete library (libthr) in the
binary, Recompile ruby18 and problem will go away.  You'll find other
programs will do this too, but a lot of them disapear after doing a
portupgrade.

----

I recompiled ruby18, ruby-bdb and portupgrade and now everything works
like a charm again!

Bye
Marc

--
"And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?"

W.B. Yeats, The Second Coming