On Jan 10, 2008, at 2:58 PM, Steven Hartland wrote:
Seems our current libarchive? That support FreeBSD's tar implementation has
a bug where it can create archives it cant read back. This can be seen
by simply creating an empty tar.gz file and then trying to expand or
list it.

In doing the above you get the following error:
tar: Unrecognized archive format: Inappropriate file type or format

N.B. gtar can list and expand the created file without issue.

I can't seem to produce this on a 6.3 (prerelease, built mid December 2007) system:

1% touch empty.tar.gz
2% tar ztf empty.tar.gz
3% gtar ztf empty.tar.gz
gzip: (stdin): unexpected end of file
gtar: Child returned status 1
gtar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

4% tar --version
bsdtar 1.9.3 - libarchive 1.9.3
5% gtar --version
tar (GNU tar) 1.18