On Jan 23, 2008, at 12:30 AM, navneet Upadhyay wrote:

Hi ,
         I have following questions.

1. Which is the latest release of FreeBSD.

2. When was it released?

3. What is the patch level?

4.What is the stability

See http://www.freebsd.org/ for above. Short answer: 6.3 released last week.

5. Which compiler to use: cc or gcc and which version .

cc == gcc on freebsd. Unless your app requires a specific gcc version, just use the one the system installs for you.

6. Which platform/machine which BSD supports. Is Dell 2950 ok

I've only ever had one compatibility issue with a Dell, and that was easily fixed by teaching the bge ethernet driver the name of the chipset used on that particular box. I have a PE1900 here we just got and it runs 7.0-RC1 quite nicely.

In general, unless you're running some obscure devices, FreeBSD works just fine with most systems.