Chris wrote:

If the only advantage of journaling is to avoid slow fsck's then I may
decide I can live without it, the real attraction to me was been able
to use the much glamorised async which is what made me so shocked when
write speeds were low.

If I understood this thread correctly, the impression of poor performance is based on a configuration where both the journal and the data are on the same physical drive. Intuitively, this will likely penalize any transaction on the volume, read or write, since you're asking the drive to not only accumulate a queue of information to the journal in one region of the disk but also to flush that data in "idle time" to a region in the data space on that same disk at a significant seek-length away.

I would think that journaling on one drive and storing the resultant data-set on another would improve performance enormously (reduced seek-lengths) and more so if they were 1) high-rpm drives (less rotational latency) and 2) on different buses (no bus/controller contention),

        Michael