On Feb 8, 2008, at 2:29 PM, Joe Peterson wrote:

For one thing (as I mentioned), only 65536 bytes are bad (and it's
exactly this many, with a few "good" bytes thrown in, but not far from
what matches random chance would produce.  Also, all bad bytes have a
zero in the high bit - interesting?  Also, near the end of the block,
the bad bytes all go to zero, strangely coincident with the first "good" zero in that bad block - not sure if that's coincidence or not. Also, I calculated the number of "Bits same" (matching bits) in the good vs. bad
bytes, and it appears fairly random, so it appears that the bad bytes
are very random in nature and not correlated much at all with the good
bytes.

So except for the fact that the 2nd half (65536 bytes) of the ZFS block are good, the bad block seems to consist of random data, except for the string of zero bytes near the end and the zero high-bit. It's not as if
one bit on the disk flipped - it affects the whole (1/2) block.  Does
this seem like a disk error, controller error/bug, cable problem (I
recently put a new cable on, so I doubt this). It seems to me something
more systemic rather than a random bit error - opinions are more than
welcome.

Based on the subset of data you posted, the bad data looks like ASCII text.
The bad data from offset a0000 to a000f is:

${138AFE{@
@$$}1

The bad data from offset af6c1 to af6c8 is:

392A9}@

I don't recognize the content beyond that, but I'd guess that somehow the
contents of some other file managed to overwrite that portion of the bad
file. As for how that happened, I don't know. But if someone recognizes
where the bad content came from, that might be a clue.

-Mark