Gavin Spomer wrote:
Kevin Oberman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 02/12/08 7:01 PM >>>
make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
If you put KERNCONF into make.conf, you can simplify it to:
make kernel

Just to be clear, if I add the appropriate KERNCONF line in /etc/make.conf, "make kernel" will take
care of both "make buildkernel" AND "make installkernel"? (w/o the KERNCONF= part)
[snip]

Last I heard, the better way to define KERNCONF in make.conf is as follows:

KERNCONF?=MYKERNEL

Then you can use "make kernel" as you say, but should you need to compile a kernel using an alternate configuration, you can still issue the "make kernel KERNCONF=MYOTHERKERNEL" on the command line.

Similarly, if you choose to set CPUTYPE in make.conf, use a line such as:
CPUTYPE?=p4

That way it can be overridden if necessary by other commands, but will default to your choice.

Jim