Miroslav Lachman wrote:

Do you have any stability issues after tuning? What settings you are using?
I am testing ZFS for a short time with these values:
vm.kmem_size="1024M"
vm.kmem_size_max="1024M"
vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable="1"
kern.maxvnodes="400000"
vfs.zfs.zil_disable="1"

(on Sun Fire X2100 with 4GB of RAM and FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE amd64)

It seems to be stable.

Miroslav Lachman

I'm also running ZFS and wanted to share my experiences. It doesn't cope well with low-memory environments, but I've successfully run with 2GB ram and 3TB disk with no problems on both i386 and amd64. amd64 needs a little bit of tuning - increasing kmem and whatnot (well documented, not very difficult/stressful) i386 needs a bit more tuning and a kernel recompile (increase KVA_PAGES) but once you get it working it runs fine.

I've heard dire warnings that disabling the zil is a terribly bad idea if you're running anything that tries to ensure data file consistency (like a database and nfs or something)

To sum up - tune it and it will work wonders for you. Don't try to run it with minimal RAM though - I've had good luck with 2GB+ (and half or more of that allocated to kernel memory)