Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 06:43:04PM +0300, Sorin P�nca wrote:
Hello people!
I recently upgraded a amd64 machine from FreeBSD-6.2-RELEASE-p11 to FreeBSD-7.0-RELEASE-p2 using the tutorial found at http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2007-11-11-freebsd-major-version-upgrade.html
All went well with the base system.

I'm doubting that greatly.

Well... they compiled successfully twice (once by doing portupgrade -a, and once by doing portupgrade -af - there were some complaines about some perl modules that we installed by cpan) and then a portupgrade -aPPR finished successfully... Anyway, how do I check everything is clean and working or how do I recompile the pthread part (library) of the system to ensure it's linked against the proper libraries?

Both ports you're trying to build rely on pthread, and both die in the
same way:

/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/libpthread.a(thr_mutex.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 can not
be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/lib/libpthread.a: could not read symbols: Bad value

/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/libpthread.a(thr_syscalls.o): relocation R_X86_64_32S can
not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/lib/libpthread.a: could not read symbols: Bad value

I agree. That's why I posted both of them.

Is my question good or bad? I'm not a programmer, so I really try hard to understand what is happening...

Sorin.