On Jun 18, 2008, at 12:15 AM, Karl Denninger wrote:

No management tool = el-sucko, because you can't rebuild a failed disk or
even shut the alarm on the board off!

This is precisely the reason I have dropped using Adaptec controllers. The most recent ones cannot be managed with the FreeBSD tools.

What I've ended up using is LSI Fibre Channel 4Gb cards (PCI-e for newer servers, but I have two with PCI-x) attached to an external RAID box. My external RAIDs are custom built by Partners Data Systems and use an Areca controller. All configuration and monitoring is done via web interface over ethernet so no proprietary software is needed. They fully support FreeBSD too.