John Birrell wrote:

I know that there are issues with upgrading from 6.X (where .X isn't the
most recent on RELENG6). I'll need help from someone with an old 6.2
box (say) to test out the builds. I have no hardware to run an old version
of 6 on.

This is most likely not exactly what you are after, but:

Earlier in the week I put a message to -stable asking how to upgrade a minimal install of a system that runs entirely from USB key. This key was running 6.2.

Using a host build machine running 7.0, setting DESTDIR accordingly, and configuring numerous NO_* in /etc/make.conf, I was not only able to achieve my minimal install using buildworld etc process, I was able to upgrade it to stable sources from this morning successfully.

I'm now off to upgrade a box that is actually _running_ 6.2, and I'll report back with any details.

Steve